DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE GPGC MANSEHRA
Department of Political Science was established in 2013 upon the request of Principal Government Postgraduate College, Mansehra vide letter No 4257 dated 2008/2013. After formal approval from Project Management Unit (PMU) of HED vide notification No. 491 dated September 9, 2013. Affiliation was granted to the department by Hazara University Mansehra. Director HED KPK accorded the initiation of BS Political Science on dated 28/08/2013 in GPGC Mansehra. Hazara University Mansehra upon the recommendation of the Affiliation Committee in its 23rd meeting held on Sep 04, 2013 and approval of the 25th meeting of Syndicate held on Sep 26, 2013 accorded affiliation of the discipline BS Political Science.
The BS Political Science (04 Years) is an undergraduate program. The program comprises four years of study to be completed in eight semesters with the duration of 16-18 weeks. BS Political Science is a 132-credit hour program in which students study specific, major and elective courses along with the research activities. The mission of the department is to streamline the education of Political Science in Pakistan and bring it in line with the international standard. The course is designed to broaden the knowledge of graduates in multi-dimensional fields of political science. The department aims at the development of an educated community which is equipped with the potentials to cope effectively with the challenges of modern world.
The faculty of Political Science Department consists of 03 Assistant Professor and 05 Lecturer. The department currently (Spring 2022) caters of 133 BS students. In each semester, 5 to 6 courses of 3 credit hours each are offered to students with a semester workload between 15 to 18 credit hours. In the first semester of every batch, 40 students are granted admission in the fall session. Student-teacher ratio is approximately 16:1.
The mission of the programme is to provide a forum for the students to learn political understanding at national and international level in the field of Political Science. The program is designed to streamline the education of Political Science with Pakistan and bring it in line with the international standard. It is designed to broaden the knowledge of graduates in multi-dimensional fields of political science. For this purpose, different streams of specialization of this discipline have been provided to be opted by the students in the last two semesters. Apart from the numerous objectives listed below, the program aims at the development of an educated community which is equipped with the potentials to cope effectively with the challenges of modern world. The mission of the department is to educate and prepare graduate students to understand the scope and limitations of the subject along with practical applications.
The primary goal of the programme is:
- To impart knowledge among the students about the basics of political science and analysis of the various offshoots of this discipline. The study and analysis of the basic concepts, theories and model provides an opportunity to the students for application as well.
- To educate and train the students and to make them conscious of their rights and obligations towards the society, which will facilitate their active participation in state business.
- To familiarize the students with the manner in which the game of politics is played locally, nationally and internationally.
- To develop among the students, the ability to apply an interdisciplinary approach to the study of state related problems and suggest viable solutions.
- To expand and sharpen the intellectual capacity of students through familiarizing them with the introductory/foundation courses and steadily moving towards the major / advanced stages.
- To offer to the students’ varieties of choices with respect to subjects, where from to select areas for specialization later at the Masters, MPhil and doctoral levels.
- To inculcate among the students the practice of making comparisons by placing before them differing views of state and government.
- To enable the students, know the difference (if any) between the theory and practice of various state processes, pinpoint the causative factors and develop the know-how to bridge the gaps.
- To disseminate to the student’s necessary knowledge of politics and administration and enable them to be effective managers irrespective of the professions they join later on.
- To motivate students for taking up the discipline for higher studies.
- To make them able for suggesting solutions of the problems faced by the society (Pakistan).
- To enhance the research ability of the students for successfully completing their projects and assignments on any aspect of the discipline.
- To encourage them to contribute in the field of research relates to national and international issues.
There are many achievements that this department has made since its inception.
- The department is known for producing cutting-edge research in key areas of political science, such as International Relations, comparative politics and regional studies.
- Faculty members in the department have published highly regarded articles and research papers in top-tier academic journals, furthering the reputation of both the individual scholars and the department as a whole.
- The graduates of the department successfully joined different fields as careers such as government (Police services, Public administration etc), Education sector, Judiciary, academia and non-profit organizations, reflecting well on the quality of education provided by the department.
- The department have a high rate of student success, with students graduating on time, finding employment or pursuing further education after graduation and demonstrating strong critical thinking and analytical skills.These are few examples of achievements that this department have strived for and recognized for within the academic community.